The primary responsibility of this role is the optimization of the logistics function for all business groups within the company. The Logistics Manager will also represent and act as liaison for senior management initiatives and policies, for the department. Conversely, the Logistics Manager will represent the logistics group and act as liaison for logistics related concerns and issues to senior management. This role is directly accountable for the management of product import/export logistics throughout the Logistics Department, ensuring timely delivery to maintain necessary inventory levels.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities
Customs and Logistics Process Management – Oversees logistics procedures to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery of inbound shipments; Manages all customs requirements for the company to ensure compliance, accuracy and timeliness of imports and exports
- Senior logistics contact for warehouses, customs brokers and freight contacts
- Takes a leadership role for import questions and issues including: CBSA requests, trade agreements, amendments, customs rulings, and audits
- Manages the broker relationship for Barentz Canada
- Represents logistics at Management meetings, and on key Barentz committees
- Determines corrective actions for NCRs relating to logistics
- Collaborates with Regulatory for GHS training and protocol implementation
- Maintains and drives and improvement for logistics systems and procedures
- Controls and maintains of all broker relationships.
- Organizes and advises on CUSMA applicable products. Coordinates with document control to ensure all current CUSMA statements are on hand upon the New Year • Attends quarterly meetings with warehouses and trucking companies, where applicable
- Attends conference calls for new warehouse set ups, to discuss and educate on SOPs
- Coordinates with the Systems and Process Manager, to ensure procedures and interactions between departments are streamlined and efficient
- Provides leadership on problem resolution, involving issues brought forward by the logistics coordinators
- Performs departmental responsibilities which includes covering for Logistics Coordinators when absent
People Management – Oversees the daily operations of the logistics department, managing staff performance and resolving personnel, internal and customer-related issues; • Participates in department related recruitment initiatives
- Provides training to existing logistics coordinators
- Produces reports on a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly basis to control workloads and assess productivity within the logistics group
- Uses reports to determine overages and shortages within the department
- Coordinates vacation and time off within the entire department
- Discusses and settles disputes within the department, both on an individual and group related basis
- Manages staff and conducts performance reviews on an annual basis
- Ensures that department adheres to policies and guidelines as outlined in the Barentz Employee Handbook
- Supports the Logistics team in resolving problems and encouraging independent problem-solving skills
Internal Relationship Management/Communication – Effectively communicates with internal departments to ensure optimum performance of the logistics function and to expedite any problem resolution
- Interacts and communicates with Product Coordinators, Sales Coordinators and Customer Service on a regular basis, to ensure timely delivery and accurate orders
- Communicates with Customer Service to notify of product arrival/availability and provide them with certificates of analysis and other necessary information
- Liaises with Accounting department for payment and product receiving issues
- Convenes with management and sales staff for updates on product and supplier information
- Coordinates with Regulatory Affairs Coordinator for new product set up regarding customs regulations and tariffs.
- Assists Operations Manager with Responsible Distribution program, as required, and ensuring all forms and policies are adhered to
- Uses problem solving and teamwork skills to collaborate with department and provide updates on logistics provide necessary departments with logistics
- Support and lead by example, Barentz’ culture, values and fundamentals
- Participate in ongoing personal development opportunities
Education, Experience, Required Knowledge & Skill
- Post- Secondary education required, preferably in Logistics
- 3-5 Years of experience in Supply Chain or Logistics
- Leadership and People Management skills
- Solid organization skills, with the ability to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines • Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and the ability to adapt communication style to the audience as needed.
- Software knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint • Act legally and ethically in all professional relationships in adherence with Barentz’ values and fundamentals.
Barentz is a world class supplier of life science ingredients and specialty chemicals focused on improving the quality and length of life. We provide products that help our customers meet their formulary needs and achieve sustainability goals. We strive to change the conversation by creating value for our customers in a diverse range of end markets by providing technical and regulatory support and offering unique and creative solutions.
Our business leverages an infrastructure of industry leading technology, value-add services, global sourcing & logistics network, and a commitment to creating customer success. This philosophy has enabled Barentz to offer its customers and principal partners with North American capabilities while maintaining a local focus. Every day, we strive to deliver fantastic customer experiences.
This position is currently performed Remote but could move to a Hybrid work environment (remote and in-person)
Barentz offers a competitive salary in addition to a positive and collaborative corporate culture. We believe in developing people as well as growing our business and make this philosophy a priority. Please visit our website at www.barentz-na.com to learn more about us.