Sylvite Industrial Chemicals (SIC)
Position Title: Business Unit Manager
Starting Date: Immediate
This position will play an integral role in establishing the company’s strategic direction and will be instrumental is helping drive the future expansion of the business. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing strategic leadership for activities of SIC’s business. They will ensure the industrial business meets or exceeds annual revenue and profitability goals, as well as provide leadership aimed at preparing the business to achieve longer term growth objectives. He / she must weigh the needs and opportunities within the various business when setting priorities and making decisions about resource allocation and investment in the business. He / She must work collaboratively with Sylvite’s functional leaders and their respective teams to strengthen develop products and services, set manufacturing strategies and align resources to achieve shared objectives.
Essential Functions / Key Focus Areas
- Analytical. You must be capable of doing your own research and analysis using Sylvite’s data operating systems, including defining KPIs and working with whomever you need to build KPI dashboards.
- Plan, develop and implement innovative business plans, organization policies, and goals that drive short-term profitability and long-term growth by providing value-added customer service and product differentiation.
- Develop and maintain a rapport with key customers and distributors to understand customer needs, ensure satisfaction with our service and repair approach, and provide feedback to the worldwide organization.
- Keep abreast of competitive activity to understand and enhance the business unit’s position in the market place.
Establish a results oriented management style that measures and evaluates individual performance against clearly defined accountable competencies, responsibilities and objectives.
- Attract, develop, and retain talent within the business unit to ensure the competency level of all employees is sufficient to be fully effective in their roles.
Coordinate with Sylvite’s functional teams in the business to ensure cross-functional and cross geographic cooperation.
- Direct and coordinate the promotion of industrial products to develop new markets, increase market share, and obtain competitive market position through thinking strategically, demonstrating entrepreneurialism, experimenting, and dealing effectively with a changing business climate.
- Actively participate in creating a safe and positive work environment for all employees by ensuring employees are properly trained, safety requirements are effectively communicated, and safety hazards are identified and corrected.
- Instill a sense of urgency to ensure that projects are completed on schedule and on budget.
- Support company continual improvement initiatives.
- Serve as a leader and catalyst for the business in identifying areas for improvement and revenue generation to achieve increased operational efficiencies and productivity.
- Support front-end business development activities including operations, planning, customer visits, presentations and proposal development.
- Collaborate extensively with external customers and distributors across Sylvite to grow the industrial chemicals business.
- Oversee competitor programs to ensure SIC is effectively positioned to compete and win in the marketplace.
- Create data driven presentations that illustrate Sylvite competitive differentiators.
- Stay abreast of market and business trends impacting the industrial chemicals business.
- Network with counterparts at other Sylvite businesses to understand best practices and integrate this knowledge gained into work practices.
- Anticipate and react to major changes to ensure market competitiveness.
- Foster an environment that values creatively solving problems and delivering results.
- Instill a sense of urgency to ensure that all activities are completed on schedule and budget.
- Act as a disruptive stimulator to the rest of the business by questioning the status quo and providing strategic foresight to fuel the company’s competitive edge going forward.
- Act with a high sense of trust and integrity.
- Professional Experience – Minimum of 10 years of business experience of which at least 5 years have been in progressively responsible operation roles.
- Functional Experience – Business leader with a track record of building high performing teams, streamlining business processes (front-to-back), leading cross-functional groups, and successfully interfacing with a direct and indirect sales force.
- Industry Experience – Experience working for an industrial chemicals wholesale distribution business will be highly valued. Some level of exposure to chemical manufacturing desirable. Further, experience working in or supporting industrial chemicals customers in fields such as: water care, wastewater, pulp & paper, DEF, oil & gas & coatings preferred.
- Bilingual-Ability to speak French is an asset
- BS degree (Chemical Engineering / Chemistry with business knowledge or Business plus chemical-technical background) – required
- MBA or other business qualification and advantage;